14 March, 2013

A few things ...


A few things have come up recently that reminded me about the differences of living life with no kids in a world full of people with kids.
  • A blogging friend who has three kids dropped off the face of the earth.  She resurfaced briefly to say “I’m sick!”  And I felt sorry for her, and thankful for me– as I age and my health is starting to give me issues, I can be grateful that I don’t have school age children who pick up every virus going and bring it home to spread it around.
  •  My littlest niece is about to start school, and my sister is bemoaning the fact her holidays now will have to be in sync with school holidays.  No such restrictions for me.
  • We’ve had a nasty shock on the work front recently.  But because we don’t have kids in school, with interests and friends and commitments, we can actually step back and think about it.  With no jobs, we actually have the freedom to do anything we want to do.  Nothing is certain, and it is quite scary, but there is opportunity there that we can consider because we don’t have kids.  Life gave us lemons, and we do actually have the option to make lemonade.  

8 comments:

  1. yes, I am learning how to make lemonade :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, true...for us it's about being able to save money for a roof renovation and still being able to go on a holiday abroad at least once this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lack of commitments is definitely a benefit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love ya! Always appreciates to get reminders and tips on how to appreciate life afterwards. I did realize many things during my NYC vacation- I couldn't picture myself getting a tattoo with a kid around, or of riding on the subway worrying if kid'd pick up a germ (yuck!), or that I couldn't go due to school year/days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you. Hoping that this is the start of a wonderful adventure. :)

    I think we all have to deal with loss (whatever the loss) in different ways that fit our personality. I'd been struggling with that. It seems a bit better now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was spring break here this past week... everything seemed to be revolving around families and children. It was both bad & good, lol. Dh in particular was swamped, covering for all the absent parents at work :p... but I was relieved not to have to be hauling my kids to all the same places & activities that 50,000 other parents were taking their kids. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope things turn out well on the work front. It is nice to have space to breathe in all these ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reminder... Will cherish while I still can!
    (And have to admit it feels sooo weird trying to figure out how to take a train with a newborn, what to pack, even the simplest logistics are way complicated now. No 'just hop on a train to a friend and no worrying about how many hours later I will return' Let alone going away for the weekend!)

    ReplyDelete