06 July, 2015

One more thing on Our Next Big Thing

I think I pressed Publish too soon on my last post. What I want to add now is the very important point that, when we’ve been hit with a major loss, surviving is a major accomplishment. It is no mean feat to just get through life, and to eventually find yourself and your relationship in a good place, even though all these things will be new and changed as a result too. Learning to be happy is not easy (certainly not at first), but it is possible, and indeed the most likely outcome for those of us without children. Living well, flourishing, when we didn’t get what we want requires energy and strength and honesty and compassion, and a myriad other reserves of strength and character that we don’t know we have until they’re called on.

So what I meant to say on my last post was that simply being able to embrace this No Kidding life is, in fact, a big thing. Our next big thing.



11 comments:

  1. Yep, it IS a big thing, even if others don't always recognize that. :p Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Flourishing after experiencing loss, learning to be happy with a redefined reality, is definitely a Next Big Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a big thing! Over the last year I've discovered that I'm stronger than I ever thought I was, even though at the time I felt incredibly weak (and sometimes still do).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Echoing what others have said and adding, every step is a victory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true...what we need is to embrace life and the curve balls it throws at us and it is indeed the next big thing in life!

    Change & Life : Companions Forever

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, thanks a lot for this perspective. I've never thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps figuring out how to deal with any curve ball that you weren't expecting is a big thing. Framed that way, I bet most of us has something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, it is! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete