13 November, 2011

One vote


We are in the midst of an election campaign here in New Zealand.  The relief of winning the Rugby World Cup has been quickly replaced by the frustration of seeing political pollution (candidates’ hoardings) everywhere we go, of listening to the political pollution on the radio when I’m not quick enough to turn it off, and of trying to avoid reading the political pollution on the Internet or in my newspaper.

So far this year there hasn’t been too much of an emphasis on family.  Issues include the economy, debt, asset sales, to name a few.  To be frank, I’m not paying that much attention, as I still feel bruised from previous years.  You see, in previous years, family was the most commonly used word in the political campaigns.  And I understand that for most people their family is their concern.  But for those of us who don’t have children – don’t have a family in the sense of the word that most people identify with - this is simply another time of the year when we feel marginalised, isolated, alone.  It is another time of the year when we are reminded that our worth, to society, is so low that our only value is as a taxpayer.  It is another time of the year when we are ignored, swept aside, where - despite having a vote - we simply don't count.  

1 comment:

  1. What irks me is the use of the term "family" to refer only to nuclear family. I'm originally from Latin America. Growing up for me always meant extended family, uncles, aunts, cousins, as well as parents, grandparents and siblings. I have family. I have a nephew and a niece, aunts, an uncle, cousins, parents, a brother and a sister in law (through my brother), a brother in law and two sisters in law (through my husband), two nephews through marriage, parents and cousins in law (one of which is coming to stay with me for a week as part of her vacation). I do have family, family is not just my husband and myself, but a whole other grouping of people.

    ReplyDelete